Multiple Issues with Dell Latitude 3350 + Newer Laptop Models?

1. last year
    Edited last year by apshoupe

Hello,

I am having multiple issues with one laptop in particular. A Dell Latitude 3350.

1. I ran a diag. report and for the network portion I get:
    "Network card may not be compatible. A kernel update may be required."

I am running pxelinux and the newest 4.5 kernel with version 1.1.0 of CD.

2. It says it could not contact web service, but i'm able to image other model CPUs and laptops just fine; when I run the ...client.asmx/test it works.

3. I can get to the on demand portion fine. I get all the way up to the login screen. No matter what I try it tells me:

"parse error: Invalid numeric literal at line 1, column 5."

I read one of the previous articles and it said possibly two versions installed. To eliminate this possibility, I uninstalled all traces of CD and reinstalled version 1.1.0.

I am stuck here and am wondering what possible options i have to fix this situation.

I do not see any logs being generated either after the login attempts fail.

Thanks for any and all help.

You need to use kernel 3.18.1 and enable uefi network stack on the bios under system configuration>>NIC settings. You should be cherry after that. That's the only model I've had that issue with so far.

2. clonedeploy

30 Aug 2016 Administrator

There is no nic driver found. Can you try the 4.7 kernel?
    http://docs.clonedeploy.org/kernels/4.7x64

3. Will try right now and report back.

4. clonedeploy

Also trying adding

pci=noacpi

to the image profile pxe boot kernel arguments

You must use a web task to pass that argument to the kernel, on demand won't work.

5. OKay let me try that also... Tried the 4.7x64 without the pci=noacpi with no luck.

6. Same result...

parse error: Invalid numeric literal at line 1, column 5

7. SO by web task you mean add CPU to CD and create an deploy task?

8. clonedeploy

Yes

9. Give me a few minutes to manually add the CPU to CD and create a task.

10. It gets to the username/pw portion and then the keyboard becomes unresponsive. Should i revert back to 4.5 kernel?

11. clonedeploy

I would try all the kernels

12. Best practice is to change kernel in settings and on image correct?

13. You need to use kernel 3.18.1 and enable uefi network stack on the bios under system configuration>>NIC settings. You should be cherry after that. That's the only model I've had that issue with so far.

14. clonedeploy

Best practice would be to use web tasks with multiple image profiles, so you can use different kernels for different computer models. If no web task is present it will fall back to the global kernel you set in admin->bootmenu

15. clonedeploy

@jcbz956
    Thanks for chipping in, that's why I like to keep the old kernels around.

16. Does anyone have a newer kernel that supports the 3350? It would be nice to have 4.7 or newer with support for the 3350.

Thanks.

17. clonedeploy

12 Jan 2017 Administrator

Have you tried the accepted solution? The author of this post says the 4.7 kernel did not help.

18. Yes, and although that works, it breaks other things. Is there instruction on how to build your own kernel? I've done it a few times, but I can't remember without some instruction. For me to add a computer I have to change my entire PXE environment and then other models won't boot correctly. I'm getting more and more 3350s in my environment and would like to have 1 kernel for all models if possible.

Thanks for your help.

19. clonedeploy

12 Jan 2017 Administrator

I believe this is just a problematic model something with an IRQ conflict with the kernel. Using the param pci=noacpi does get the nic working with the 4.5 kernel but breaks they keyboard, you would need a usb keyboard.

As far as your pxe environment goes, if you use CloneDeploy Proxy DHCP, you would not need to disrupt your environment when changing bios modes.

Finally if you really want to make your own kernel.
    http://clonedeploy.org/docs/custom-linux-kernel/

Getting all models to work with a single kernel can be difficult. CloneDeploy was designed so that you shouldn't have to.

20. Great, thanks for the information. That 3350 is a real pain, hopefully Dell phases it out shortly.

21. Newer ›

or Sign Up to reply!