Upload of first image fails, "incorrect login"

1. 2 years ago

I"m trying to upload my first image and it does not work. I'm using USB boot. I boot to the USB drive, choose to upload image, then when prompted for username and password, no matter what I use it fails. The error I receive is "Incorrect login". This is asking for credentials for the clonedeploy server, correct? Are we to use a Specific username??? What logon rights does it need? Any windows account I try that exists on the clonedeploy server fails to authenticate in the upload image attempt. This includes the local administrator level account that can logon to windows. Even if I add rights on the share to give all users full control I receive the same error "Incorrect Login".

I have set the password in the setup of the server in the clonedeploy interface (Browser). The clonedeploy "server" is a laptop running Windows 8.1 pro. The Windows firewall is off, no security software is installed. I see the distribution share has the two user accounts with permissions: cd_share_rw and cd_share_ro. However neither of them is using the password I set in initial server setup. I know that because then I try to logon to the server with either account it fails. And to simplify things I used the same password for everything in Clonedeploy setup and existing Windows user accounts on the server. I used Password1, which should satisfy Windows security logon credential complexity rules.

Any idea what I can do to make this work?

2. Hi, An update to my last post. I applied the patch I saw on the site for version 1.1.1. After that I realized I did not try the user name of clonedeploy. I tried that and it did login but now I received another error "Could not mount SMB share". Any idea how to resolve this?

This is my first attempts with clonedeploy and so far it is not working "out of the box" as they say. I hope someone can assist. By the way, earlier, before the first post, I tried an uninstall and reinstall of the server and that had no effect either.

3. clonedeploy

14 Sep 2016 Administrator

Do you have the install log?

4. Yes, it appears there are two of them. They are attached.

5. By the way, yesterday, since I could not logon to the server with the user account called "cd_share_rw" I changed the password for cd_share_rw to the password I established at setup. It's the same password for all of clonedeploy install, even logging into the clonedeploy web UI. I still received the error "could not mount SMB Share". I even had set all users full control on the clonedeploy shared folder (cd_dp) and that had no effect either.
    For user credentials when booting from the USB drive to upload an image, I tried also "<servercomputername>\<username>" as well as "<serverIPaddress>\<username>", and made no difference either to allow to mount the SMB share. This is very strange... I should at least be able to access this share with this approach or so I would think.

I can access the share with those credentals in Windows, as I browse to the share. But it does not work at the level of booting from USB to try to mount the share.

6. clonedeploy

You need to verify that your distribution point username and passwords match what you have set for the users, also the following special characters cannot be used in the password as stated by the documentation.
    < > ” & ‘ $

7. Well, I need you to please clarify this statement, please: "You need to verify that your distribution point username and passwords match what you have set for the users". I"m asking that because "I" set only one username and password and that is when i installed Windows 8.1 on the laptop and created the user "Admin". Also, is the "distribution point" you refer to, the shared folder created by clonedeploy called "cd_dp"?

Clonedeploy (I found out only after researching on this forum before I created by posting) created the other two existing Windows users, "cd_share_rw" and "cd_share_ro". During clonedeploy install I was prompted to create passwords, not user accounts, and the three passwords that were set were all the same : Password1. Prompts to create passwords were shown by clonedeploy to be for "read only", "write" and one for "database". But no user account names were referenced in the clonedeploy install. I used the same password as the Windows user "Admin" I created. So all passwords are the same to remove any password confusion. And they meet the parameters you mention above of not using those characters you typed.

I find that after the clonedeploy install, the the two users clone deploy created could not logon to the Windows clonedeploy server directly, with the password I set in the install, of "Password1". I received an error that the username or password is incorrect.

So, I"m not understanding your request to me entirely. Where do we go from here?

8. clonedeploy

I can see from your log that the first time you installed you used Password1$ not Password1, that is why there is so much confusion.

In the clonedeploy web ui ->admin->distribution points
    edit the default one and make sure the usernames and passwords match the windows users and passwords and don't contain the special character, if you do that correctly, the smb share will mount.

9. Thank you, but that had no effect. Still the same issue. I'm assuming I should use "cd_share_rw" as the user name when trying to upload the image, booting from the USB drive?

Since your replies take a while, I'm going to reinstall clonedeploy, making sure to delete any left over directories before reinstalling. There could be some other issue relating to the install that would not show up in the install log. Install logs can be helpful but do not always contain information to solve an install problem. I have encountered this in the past with other programs. Are there any known issues in the past with Windows 8.1 pro? Just a question. Are there any leftover registry entries that need manual deletion before re-installing?

10. clonedeploy

15 Sep 2016 Administrator

It's not easy to uninstall completely. I would just start over completely, perhaps on a vm with snapshots just to test.

11. Thanks. I decided to re-image my test laptop with Windows 8.1 pro. I have no VM. We're a small nursing college with limited IT funds. :) I'll reply here if I encounter issues. I appreciate your assistance.

12. After a re-image of the server with Win 8.1 Pro, installing clonedeploy, and trying to upload my first image, the upload fails. New error message now: "Incorrect login". I had previously set the password in Admin/Distribution point as you mentioned earlier. So getting this error does not make sense. Maybe I"m doing something wrong in my process. Here is what I did.

• installed win8.1 pro as a fresh install on laptop - this will be the clonedeploy server-created one Windows user account called Admin, with password of Password1
    • Installed clone deploy server, from your website link
    • During install set all passwords to Password1
    • logged into web ui for clonedeploy and changed passwords to Password1 when prompted
    • went into web ui at Admin/Distribution Points and changed passwords to Password1
    • created new bootable USB drive using your documentation
    • followed instruction to upload first image from your documentation
    • booted from USB on the computer I want to upload image of
    • chose to "upload image" from menu
    • for username I supplied: cd_share_rw
    • for password I supplied: Password1
    • received error "incorrect Login"

Any ideas? I can't find the log file by the way.....
    I have not installed all windows updates on the newly built laptop. Is that necessary?

13. clonedeploy

15 Sep 2016 Administrator

Users that can login are defined in the clonedeploy gui. By default there is only 1, clonedeploy and you said you changed the password to Password1.

You should not be logging in with cd_share_rw that won't work.

14. okay thanks. That solved it. I was assuming we needed a windows account to access the share. SO much for that idea.

Now, however I have another issue. I added another computer to test deploy the image. But the task for deployment will not become active. I have applied the patch 1.1.1 but that did not help.

15. Also, I can add a task to upload an image from the new computer, and it becomes an active task. If I select to deploy an image to the same computer the task does not show as active. And if I run the deploy anyway, thinking maybe it is active but not appearing as such, the deploy attempt does not find an active task. It was worth a try I guess.

16. clonedeploy

16 Sep 2016 Administrator

Did you approve the image?

17. Deleted 2 years ago by evanjf
  18. [i]

@jheuser okay thanks. That solved it. I was assuming we needed a windows account to access the share. SO much for that idea.

Now, however I have another issue. I added another computer to test deploy the image. But the task for deployment will not become active. I have applied the patch 1.1.1 but that did not help.

[/i]

Have you tried deleting all the current active tasks then try running the deploy again for that computer?

or Sign Up to reply!