client side full automation

1. 2 years ago

Hello

I've been testing this for about an hour, and its really the better tool I have seen until now. Congrats!

There is however one scenario that its not contemplated in clonedeploy as of yet. Client side full automation for when the computer is 500km away!

that is: Having an ISO/USB predefined to automatically start downloading an image, requiring only the client to put the CD in the computer.

So far this would implicate the following:
    > Automatically go to Image download.
    > No User/Password login
    > No confirmations of any kind.

The admin would only need to remotely login to the server, select the image start the task.

The only other thing I could possibilly think to add, would be to make the ISO search for the server via some tcp flag, and not having to pre-configure the ISO with the server address. In my case, having some 32 Vlans, would imply 32 different ISOS, or one firewall rule to route the traffic and serious bottleneck the firewall.

cheers!

Thanks for your feedback, i'm not sure I totally understand your request though. The client can already be completely automated, easiest when using PXE, but still possible with iso.

The boot menu on the iso can easily be adjusted to load image download by default, either immediately or after a timeout

> No User/Password login

Admin->Security->Web Task Require Login->No .... No more client side logins

Tasks started from the web will never ask for any confirmations other than login

The admin would only need to remotely login to the server, select the image start the task.

Yep, or you could start a permanent task and the computer would image every time the iso is inserted automatically.

Finally, I'm not sure what you mean about server ip being embedded into the iso. If you only have one CloneDeploy server why would it need to change? Eventually the traffic would need to route back to the server to get the image anyway. I suspect I'm just missing something here.

2. clonedeploy

4 Nov 2016 Administrator Answer
    Edited 2 years ago by clonedeploy

Thanks for your feedback, i'm not sure I totally understand your request though. The client can already be completely automated, easiest when using PXE, but still possible with iso.

The boot menu on the iso can easily be adjusted to load image download by default, either immediately or after a timeout

> No User/Password login

Admin->Security->Web Task Require Login->No .... No more client side logins

Tasks started from the web will never ask for any confirmations other than login

Yep, or you could start a permanent task and the computer would image every time the iso is inserted automatically.

Finally, I'm not sure what you mean about server ip being embedded into the iso. If you only have one CloneDeploy server why would it need to change? Eventually the traffic would need to route back to the server to get the image anyway. I suspect I'm just missing something here.

3. I see, all i need is to adjust the boot menu. Will try that

The generated file adds the server IP to the grub.conf.

But suppose I have 2 Vlans, each with its own subnet, and only one CloneDeploy server.

CloneDeploy server:__ 10.50.0.1
    vlan 1_________________ 10.50.1.x
    vlan 2_________________ 10.50.2.x

In order to both Vlans reach the server, I can do this in two ways:

1- Having only one ISO with the generated server address 10.50.0.1 and Allow the firewall to Route the traffic from both Vlans to the Server (This will make all traffic go through the firewall, severely limiting the imaging speed)

2- Configure CloneDeploy Ubuntu server to have all 3 networks configured. The server is now reachable via local broadcast for each Vlan without needing for routing. However, the server is now reachable in 3 different ip addresses, but all 3 isos need to be pointing to each separate address. 3 Isos for 3 networks.

Am I correct?

4. clonedeploy

4 Nov 2016 Administrator

I see, I wasn't aware you were putting CloneDeploy on each network. That's not really going to work without some customization.

There are 2 things to deal with.

1. Web Services(server-ip) - that could be handled by putting CloneDeploy on each network
    2. Distribution point - this is the problem, each client will try and mount the smb share defined by the distribution point. CloneDeploy web services will pass this ip to the client, resulting in a failure because no route.

Not sure how your DNS is setup, but maybe different A records could be used depending on vlan? Then change clonedeploy ip's to names?

5. Edited 2 years ago by spyshagg

I see, I only looked at the conf files and I thought that changing the conf to the appropriate server IP would solve my issue (albeit with 3 separate isos). But if I understand correctly, the samba share ip is passed in realtime from the server -> client after the initial grub.conf negotiation.

That is indeed a problem.

I understand what you are saying about using fqdn and having each network point the server name to a different IP, but from looking at PFsense, it can only override the destination IP for all interfaces, not per interface.

I suppose I will have to go with option number 1 (routed by firewall) and avoid imaging more than 2 machines at a time (its not really a problem, I just wanted to avoid having to depend on the firewall and use local broadcast instead).

thanks again for the input

6. Edited 2 years ago by spyshagg

Hi

I managed to setup the iso to download/upload without passwords. But I am failing to create the upload task on clonedeploy

-image-

It always says "successfully started 0 tasks" as you can see in the image

If I click the upload icon directly, it tells me this:

-image-

EDIT:

Ok, so I learned that the upload function task does not automatically create the image and image profile.

So first I have to:

1º- Images -> create empty image for the computer
    2º - Computers - > Edit computer and select the empty image/profile as default
    3º - Tasks -> start upload task

Is this the intended procedure?

7. clonedeploy

7 Nov 2016 Administrator

Yes, that is the normal process. If using On Demand mode you can do all of that from the client side.

8. I see! this way you can have many images per PC. You just select the one you want to override (or download) in the computer menu. Makes sense. Thanks!

or Sign Up to reply!