Got this working on Fedora 25

1. last year

Hi everyone. I got this working on fedora 25 with dnsmasq as the proxy dhcp server. I think should be working with EFI boot but I haven't tested that yet (dnsmasq added efi proxy boot support a few months ago). Anyway the long and short of it is that it's pretty awesome. Thanks to the devel(s) and keep up the good work.

2. clonedeploy

12 Dec 2016 Administrator

Thanks for sharing, were there any unexpected hurdles that may be helpful for others?
    Also,
    I just wanted to point out to other users to avoid confusion. Dnsmasq is not needed for proxy efi support. CloneDeploy Proxy DHCP will provide the same functionality and more, while working with any existing DHCP server. But yes dnsmasq is also an option.

3. Edited last year by hrumph2

Setting up the dnsmasq.conf file was a bit of a hurdle for me, and if anyone want to see the config for that, I would be happy to share.

I may be completely wrong but I thought that CloneDeploy DHCP was for windows only. Also dnsmasq does work with existing dhcp servers (that's how i'm using it now). BTW I think that clonedeploy is possibly the best deployment system there is right now, but it's hard for me to believe that the ClondeDeploy proxy dhcp system has advantages over dnsmasq (given that dnsmasq has a high volume mailing list and very active development), but I'm keeping an open mind and I'm interested to hear about CloneDeploy Proxy DHCP.

4. clonedeploy

13 Dec 2016 Administrator

Thanks for the compliment. There is still a lot of work to be done though. CloneDeploy Proxy DHCP does run on Linux but also needs mono. I can see how my point may not have been clear. I'm not saying it offers more than dnsmasq but offers more for use with CloneDeploy. It is also very basic and was only about a week of development. It provides simultaneous pxe booting for legacy bios, efi, winpe, and apple netboot, and with it's integration into CloneDeploy each computer can be set to boot to a specific boot loader such as pxelinux,ipxe,grub,winpe without effecting other computers, all simply from the web interface. Here is a video if you haven't seen it.

I'm sure dnsmasq is a proven product that overall offers more services than CloneDeploy Proxy DHCP. I was just stating that cd proxy dhcp was designed specifically for CloneDeploy which in itself offers benefits over other options.

5. Edited last year by hrumph2

OK, I need to look more deeply into this before commenting further.

6. 3 weeks ago

Ok I still haven't tried out CloneDeploy Proxy DHCP. I'm still using DNSmasq. This is the first time I've worked with efi boot and so far I've only been able to get ipxe.efi to work.

The critical line seems to be
    pxe-service=X86-64_EFI, "PXELINUX (EFI)", "/proxy/efi64/ipxe.efi",
    and I know I can granularise by PC because you can tag by mac address in dnsmasq.

For the computer I was testing on ipxe.efi worked but syslinux.efi did not. For syslinux.efi is there something more that the DHCP service must do other than send the file? Do you think this is my failure
    to configure Dnsmasq properly, or would it be the case that syslinux.efi doesn't work this this particular model?

7. clonedeploy

May 4 Administrator

ipxe is really on the only option for proxy and efi. Syslinux hasn't been updated by it's developer in almost 5 years, it just doesn't work well with efi, and grub doesn't work with proxy dhcp, only a regular dhcp server.

or Sign Up to reply!