Multicast

1. last year

Having issues with multicast...
    Server has 4 NICs (VLANs), unicast works fine, multicast doesn't, no real error message in the logs, client stuck on:
    Starting to restore image (-) to device (/dev/sda1)
    PXE boot works on all VLANs.
    Symantec Ghost multicast works fine, so not a router blocking issues.

2. clonedeploy

7 Apr 2017 Administrator

Are you multicasting to computers in different vlans or are they all in the same?

3. clonedeploy

7 Apr 2017 Administrator

I would try a test with only two computers in the same vlan. For the multicast arguments I would set

--interface [ip-of-interface-in-vlan]
  4. I set up a test group with 2 computers on same VLAN, used multicast argument (under Admin-Multicast-Server Argument) as suggested. Same exact issue.

5. clonedeploy

7 Apr 2017 Administrator

Can you try with just 1 computer in the group.

6. With one, I am getting same...

7. clonedeploy

7 Apr 2017 Administrator

Ok, so something else not really related to multicasting is going on. When only using 1 computer, udp-sender sends in unicast mode which is usually not a problem.

Is the firewall off on the machine? Any firewalls b/w the client and server?

8. Firewall off on the server while testing.
    Something is blocking multicast, but as mentioned we have it working with Symantec ghost multicasting on all VALNs.
    To confirm, unicast works very fats.

9. Where is the support doc for multicast that was available for CWD?
    http://docs.cruciblewds.org/2.3.3/r1/troubleshooting.html - does not work

10. Testing ondemand multicast with 2 PCs, we get error:

11. clonedeploy

10 Apr 2017 Administrator

You can get it here.
    http://docs.clonedeploy.org/2.3.3/r1/troubleshooting.html

I would scroll down to Test 1
    You'll need to change the path from C:\inetpub\wwwroot\cruciblewds\web\data\apps\udp-sender to C:\Program Files (x86)\clonedeploy\web\private\apps\udp-sender

12. Hello again,

Followed the tests as per troubleshooting docs:
    I can get it to work if I add --interface {VLAN interface}, client connects to correct VLAN and starts receiving.
    Can't get it to work in the GUI, it appears that the client connects to the wrong interface.

13. clonedeploy

19 Apr 2017 Administrator

So if you manually run udp-sender --interface vlan on the clonedeploy server it works, but adding the same argument in the gui it doesn't.

14. So clonedeploy is on VLAN-A, test interface is on VLAN-B, PCs are on VLAN-B.

15. clonedeploy

19 Apr 2017 Administrator

adding the --interface vlan b to the gui should work then. After you add that and start a multicast you can check the multicast log to verify the argument was added

16. Yes, I did that, the sender end is OK, but the client fails to get going. Doing an ondemand multicast, I see that the client is still using VLAN-A. What is the command on the client end? the logs files shows only the server end.

Many thanks.

17. clonedeploy

20 Apr 2017 Administrator

For the multicast receiver args use

--mcast-rdv-address vlan-b
  18. OK, so testing again, one PC in group, using multicast with sender and receiver arguments
    Added --mcast arg, but same issue, looked at computer log after multicast is canceled, it still lists --mcast as vlan-a.

19. clonedeploy

20 Apr 2017 Administrator

Can you post the log

20. Attached...
    Please note that in clonedeploy (GUI) the sender and receiver arguments are set to vlan-b (207.122)

21. Newer ›

or Sign Up to reply!