Partitions not being filled/expanded properly?

1. last year
    Edited last year by themip3

Hi there!

This may be a dumb question, but it looks like the hard drives of computers I am imaging get partitioned without being expanded. I'm deploying Ubuntu 16.04 in On Demand mode, originally on a 160GB hard drive, and most computers already have a 160GB hard drive.

The logs say nothing about expanding anything, which is what I think could indicate a issue of some kind. Ubuntu boots, but it tells me the hard drive is 6 gigabytes in capacity, but the 'Disks' application says the hard drive itself is 99% full and has 160GB capacity.

In Images>(imagename)>Profiles>Default>View>Deploy Options>Modify Schema, the one partition that is there says its' size is 142.28GB with a volume size of 5888MB, rounding and converting to 5.9GB, which Ubuntu says I have.

I have made sure that "Don't Expand Volumes" is unchecked.
    Am I missing something?
    ~Mip

2. clonedeploy

11 Apr 2017 Administrator

Can you attach the deploy log

3. It's in On Demand mode, but here's the most recent log from that UUID.

4. I tried it with the "Don't Expand Volumes" option, and it doesn't change anything. Here's that log.

5. clonedeploy

12 Apr 2017 Administrator

This is strange that it's not even trying to expand the volume. I suspect that it has something to do with your mismatched table.

Device     Boot      Start        End    Sectors   Size Id Type
    /dev/sda1  *          2048  298389023  298386976 142.3G 83 Linux
    /dev/sda2        298389504  306438145    8048642   3.9G  5 Extended
    /dev/sda5       1659387127 2948034611 1288647485 614.5G 5b unknown

How can /dev/sda5 be 615GB when the hard drive is only 160GB? Was this image originally created with some other imaging software?

6. Edited last year by themip3

That's weird as well...the thing is, the very first image I ever created with CD was on a 500GB hard drive, have since switched to 160, but I've never used anything over 500GB...I uploaded the current image in On Demand mode, and was deploying also in on demand mode...this is just weird .-.

So really, I guess the question would become: How on earth is this bad partition table being generated? I created a new image before I went home for the day, and used a different computer to pull from, but the same results were yielded.

7. clonedeploy

That's difficult to say, somewhere along the line the partition table got messed up and now it appears to be cloning that bad table. How are your fdisk skills? Assuming that /dev/sda5 is supposed to be a swap partition, this is what I would do.
    Boot to ubuntu
    delete /dev/sda5
    create a new logical partition with a type of swap
    recreate the swap partition with swapon
    Shutdown and recapture

8. clonedeploy

The other option that should work is to manually modify the image schema. I think if I tweak the schema I could get it to basically perform the steps above for you. You could then deploy, and recapture which should fix everything moving forward. If you attach an upload log I can make the adjustments

9. My fdisk skills are okay, but I can always learn if there's something I don't know. Thank you for the suggestion, I'll try that the next chance I get.

or Sign Up to reply!