NEW ** Looking for hard drives ** Issue?

1. 5 months ago

Hi!
    I am well aware of the looking for hard drives solution > sgdisk -z /dev/sda
    It is not working for me.

Scenario:
    HP z240 Workstation, nvme m2 (samsung) drive + Windows 10 generates the **looking for hard drives(s)** error.
    Fresh install of W10 LTSB, no additional drivers/software installed.

Troubleshooting.
    Console:
    lsblk
    NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
    nvme0n1 259:0 0 238.5G 0 disk
    |-nvme0n1p1 259:1 0 500M 0 part
    '-nvme0n1p2 259:2 0 238G 0 part

sgdisk -Z /dev/nvme0n1p1
    sgdisk -Z /dev/nvme0n1p2
    Completes and removes GPT structure, no change.

sgdisk -Z /dev/nvm0n1
    Completes and removes GPT structure, new issue: Can't find drives.
    See attached log.

BIOS:
    Disabled uefi boot (to force legacy boot).
    Turned off secureboot.
    Turned off raid.

CloneDeploy:
    Created a new image and ticked remove GPT structures at profiles.
    Tried different Kernals (4.5 and 4.9.8x64).
    Reset by generating a new boot file.

Other OS:
    Windows 7 is possible to install/deploy/upload on nvme drives after patching Clonedeploy to 1.2.1
    Even tried keeping the sucessful Windows 7 partitions and install Windows 10 on those, but installer errors out with something like: can't install Windows to GPT drives

Please send teh help!

This seems to have been resolved by kernal 4.10.1
    Im suddenly able to both deploy&upload without having to destroy the gpt.

Thanks alot! Keep up the good work! :)

2. clonedeploy

Apr 28 Administrator

According to your log, this hard drive has no partition table. If you ran sgdisk -Z /dev/nvme0n1p1 then you wiped it out. It should have been a lowercase z

3. @clonedeploy According to your log, this hard drive has no partition table. If you ran sgdisk -Z /dev/nvme0n1p1 then you wiped it out. It should have been a lowercase z

Right, I logged with uppercase Z because I had tried lowercase before and tried upper after that.. did not remeber to add that in original post, sorry.

Anyhow!

Ran sgdisk -z /dev/nvme0n1p1 (with lowercase z)
    Result:
    "
    Found invalid GPT and valid MBR: converting MBR to GPT Format in memory.

Exact type match not found for type code 2700; assigning typ code for 'Linux filesystem'
    Exact type match not found for type 6C00; assigning typ code for 'Linux filesystem'

Warning! Secoundary partition table overlaps the last partition by 3888657333 blocks!
    You will need to delete this partition or resize it in another utility.
    Warning: The kernel is still using the old partition table.
    The new table will be used at the next reboot or after you run partprobe(8) or kpartx(8)
    FPT data structures destroyed! You may now partition the disk using fdisk or other utilities.
    "
    reboot

Upload still stops at **looking for hard drives(s)**

4. clonedeploy

Apr 28 Administrator

I would like to see a log before you do anything manually. Clean install of Windows 10, don't run sgdisk, etc. Start an upload task from the web, make sure web cancellable is selected. When it freezes on looking for hard drives, cancel the task from the web, and attach the log.

5. @clonedeploy I would like to see a log before you do anything manually. Clean install of Windows 10, don't run sgdisk, etc. Start an upload task from the web, make sure web cancellable is selected. When it freezes on looking for hard drives, cancel the task from the web, and attach the log.

Hi and sorry for the delay!
    I am unable to produce any logs, not sure why..

Created new PC > assinged the empty image name > Clean W10 LTSB in auditmode > Start upload > Cancel upload after aprox 10min.

@ All active tasks = PCname Status 0.
    @ Computers > PCname > Logs = No logs found.
    @ Admin > Logs > On demand = No new logs.

6. @clonedeploy I would like to see a log before you do anything manually. Clean install of Windows 10, don't run sgdisk, etc. Start an upload task from the web, make sure web cancellable is selected. When it freezes on looking for hard drives, cancel the task from the web, and attach the log.

*Cast revive on this thread*

I have just tried on a new out of the box PC of same model, still same issue and unable to produce any logs.
    Should I try a pre win 10 anniversary update (1607)?

Note that the anniversary update works on SSD devices, this is the only model I got with a M2 drive using the nvme protocol.

Need the helpz :(

7. clonedeploy

May 11 Administrator

When you say that you are unable to produce any logs what is happening? When you cancel the task from the web does the client machine then reboot? It should take about a minute to cancel, or is it still hung?

8. @clonedeploy When you say that you are unable to produce any logs what is happening? When you cancel the task from the web does the client machine then reboot? It should take about a minute to cancel, or is it still hung?

Sorry again for delay, had lots to do due to Cry virius.

Cancel task from web instantly suceeds, no message and no log. The machine does not move from looking for disks.

I got a new lead tho, someone proposed running secure erease on drives from bios, havent had time to try that yet but I will get back as soon as I have tried it.

9. 4 weeks ago

Saint

Sep 22 Answer

This seems to have been resolved by kernal 4.10.1
    Im suddenly able to both deploy&upload without having to destroy the gpt.

Thanks alot! Keep up the good work! :)

or Sign Up to reply!