UEFI Entry Missing

1. 3 months ago

I know that I am working a little outside of the box on this but hoping someone can give me some quick guidance.

I have a lot of machines that use UEFI / Secure boot, and everything seems to work fine booting from PXE to WinPE-UEFI and deploying the image.

Then we get some machines that need imaging that do not support PXE UEFI, so we did a quick change to WinPE-BIOS. I added a flag in the winpe_push script to force
    $script:bootType="efi"

This was required to have the partitions created as GPT instead of MBR.

The problem is that after imaging (which shows no errors as far as I can tell) the System partition is blank / empty.

Leaving no UEFI entries for normal boot.

Also there is a section for if partitions are GPT and type is "system" or "reserved" then skip the image download, is there a reason for this?

Log attached.

Many thanks for any thoughts you may have. (running 1.2.0)

2. clonedeploy

Aug 2 Administrator

I don't think this will work. I believe it needs to be pxe booted in the same mode that it will boot from later. Basically the system partition and efi boot entries(nvram) are all created from a single command.

bcdboot c:\Windows /s q:

I think that Windows is detecting the system is not currently in EFI mode and doesn't run the necessary efi process. That is why the system and reserve are not imaged, they don't need to be because bcdboot takes care of setting them up. I think your only options are to boot EFI with USB/ISO, or change the system to always use legacy bios.

3. clonedeploy

Aug 2 Administrator

It looks like there is a flag to force EFI, you can try it out.

bcdboot c:\Windows /s q: /f UEFI
  4. Thanks I will give that a try shortly.

5. Sorry about the delay, That seems to have done the trick.

It would be nice if the script differentiated between different types of images.
    At the moment it initializes the disk based on if the system booted EFI. Which in the end shouldn't actually matter, only the schema it pushes should. If the image being deployed is GPT then it should initialize GPT and bcdboot UEFI.
    I am sure there is some way that I can pull if the image is GPT and make the required changes.

I know that you are looking to step down on the CD project, just want to say thanks. Its a fantastic system you've created. (1 base image deploying to 10 different PC models and counting)

Cheers

6. clonedeploy

Aug 4 Administrator

The script just looks at how it was booted assuming the hd boot type would match. This is so it supports both efi and legacy bios from a single image. It doesn't need to match the original upload. At least I was working towards that, never actually been tested.

7. Completely understand, and it makes automation easy for if the image matches the machine and boot type. It only makes it harder for me as I do cross platform deployments which have a slew of different boot options.

Again thanks. everything works great

or Sign Up to reply!