Error booting after clone

1. 4 months ago

Just got CloneDeploy setup and I'm having trouble getting my first clone done.

Here's my scenario -

• I have a reference image build on a VMWare Workstation Pro (CentOS7 with security configurations and corporate software)
    • I'm trying to deploy it to a Dell Precision Tower (T3610).
    • It seems to partition the disk and copy the hard drive image down correct
    • System fails to boot with any of the kernels I included
    • I get a whole bunch of this error "dracut-initqueue[347]: warning: dracut-initqueue timeout - starting timeout scripts"
    • followed by "A start job is running for dev-mapp...oot.device (13minute / No Limit)
    • Can't see the whole error, I assume it's dev-mapper.something.root.device, but it never goes away, it will sit there for days.

I don't think this is related to CloneDeploy specifically, more likely it's my reference image, but I'm hoping theres some expertise there that can help. This is becoming urgent for my job, so I hope someone can help!

Thanks
    -Tom

2. clonedeploy

Sep 28 Administrator

I would start by posting your upload and deploy logs, just to verify everything did work correctly on the CloneDeploy side.

3. Edited 4 months ago by tkurtz

Okay - thanks. I will work on that now - I've redone a lot of steps and have not really gotten it working yet. I was able to use clonezilla to get the VM from my VMWARE Workstation to a physical harddrive, and booted up in a laptop that I have. I wanted to eliminate VMWARE as a problem, so I am now cloning the physical HDD and attempting to deploy to another physical HDD.

here's my newest upload logs.

4. clonedeploy

Oct 5 Administrator

Upload log looks normal. Post a deploy log when you get one.

5. 3 months ago

Okay, I got pulled away from this project but I am back on task. I essentially started over from scratch, including updating my server to 1.3 (looks great by the way).

OnDemand Upload seems to work fine.
    OnDepand Deploy seems to work fine.

I get this when booting for the first time.

"Dracut-initqueue[276]: Warning: Could not boot."
    "Dracut-initqueue[276]: Warning: /dev/cl_lx-centosref/root does not exist"
    "Dracut-initqueue[276]: Warning: /dev/cl_lx-centosref/swap does not exist"
    "Dracut-initqueue[276]: Warning: /dev/mapper/cl_lx--centosref-root does not exist"
    "Starting Dracut emergency shell..."
    "Warning: /dev/cl_lx-centosref/root does not exist"
    "Warning: /dev/cl_lx-centosref/swap does not exist"

So, I boot into the rescue kernel... works just fine.

I run the following command...
    "dracut --force --regenerate-all"

Reboot again - everything seems fine.

Any tips on avoiding this problem?

6. clonedeploy

Nov 2 Administrator

I need the upload and deploy log to try and see what's happening

7. Sorry, I meant to attach both. Here they are. I was using OnDemand deployments which worked really well it seemed.

8. clonedeploy

Nov 2 Administrator

Can't see anything wrong going on here.
    Can you attach /etc/grub2.cfg and /etc/fstab? from the original image, not a repaired one

9. clonedeploy

Nov 3 Administrator

I tried to replicate your problem but could not. I installed a copy of CentOS 7 with LVM setup exactly like yours. After deploying to multiple different machines with varying sized hard drives, they all booted successfully. Right now I'm not sure what's different about your setup.

10. Thanks for trying to replicate. I wonder if it has something to do with security features I have enabled or configured?

Requested files attached (from the reference image)

11. 2 months ago

Just following up. We are working around the issue for now, but I'd love to eliminate that step! Thanks.

12. clonedeploy

Dec 7 Administrator

Sorry, I have not found a solution to this. I still cannot replicate it which makes it hard to fix. Are you still creating the image from a VM or a physical machine?

13. I am creating the image on VMWare Workstation 12 Pro. I've seen the issue happen on VMWare Workstation, VMWare vSphere, Hyper-V, and on physical hardware (but not always). The last deploy I tested came down on my VMWare Workstation with no errors - booted right up beautifully.

I realize this doesn't give you much to go on. Are there any logs from a client that failed to boot initially that might be valuable?

or Sign Up to reply!