Clone Deploy cloning entire hard drive

1. 2 weeks ago

Right now I'm in the process of testing Clone Deploy on a small server, and it seems that CD attempts to clone the entire hard drive of the computer I'm testing the imaging process on. I've changed the File/Block settings and that doesn't seem to do anything as well as deleting and re-adding the computer. On previous software, we were able clone only what HD space we've used. For example, if we only used 20 GB of a 500 GB HDD then we had the option of uploading that 20 GB image, and I don't see that here.

The documentation says only block has been tested but file should work as well, correct?

That explains it. CloneDeploy can't decrypt it, so it has no choice but to do a raw copy.

2. clonedeploy

Oct 4 Administrator

Block and file should both work. Each has limitations depending on the filesystem. How do you know its imaging the entire drive. Can you attach upload log

3. I'm not at work to test the server atm, but I'll take another look at it and upload the log.

4. Here is the log file, it indeed copied the entire harddrive. I only have about a few GB left in my small server.

5. clonedeploy

Oct 9 Administrator

Yes, it couldn't detect an NTFS filesystem and uploaded as raw. Is there any type of encryption on this drive? Is this an OEM install or a clean install?

6. last week

Yes, the laptop I'm trying to clone is encrypted

7. clonedeploy

Oct 10 Administrator Answer

That explains it. CloneDeploy can't decrypt it, so it has no choice but to do a raw copy.

or Sign Up to reply!