Change Name using deploy

1. 10 months ago

Trying to change the name on PC through deployment. Installing Windows 10 image and it just doesn't want to work. I have been trying to use Sysprep tags, and even xml answer file. But nothing seems to be working. I pxe boot the PC, select clonedeploy and when asked I put in the PC name. I then go to computers in Clonedeploy, select view, pick my image, update computer and then to to tasks, start task, then I click deploy beside the PC. Go back to my PC and reboot. CLonedeploy applies the image but the computer name remains the default.

2. clonedeploy

13 Dec 2017 Administrator

Does your answer file have the computername xml tag in it? Are you sysprepping the machine?

3. This is the file I am using.

4. clonedeploy

What command are you using to run sysprep?

5. I guess I am confused. Doesn't computer name come from this area?

6. clonedeploy

It does, but you need to sysprep. Are you doing that?

7. Let me try it again. First time doing this.

8. 9 months ago

is somewhere a guide to prepare the image with sysprep and unattend.xml? I found some posts about but they're old and with different routes...

Thanks

9. clonedeploy

21 Dec 2017 Administrator

I do not have a guide because there is nothing specific you need to do for CloneDeploy. Set up an answer file the way you like it. If you want CloneDeploy to change the name, just make sure your answer file has the <computername></computername> tags included. It doesn't matter what is in them. You don't need to do anything else on CloneDeploy's side, it will change the name for you.

10. ok but where i need to put the answer file?

11. clonedeploy

21 Dec 2017 Administrator

It doesn't matter, you just need tell sysprep where it is. A simple search of sysprep answer file tutorial resulted in this.
    https://theitbros.com/sysprep-windows-10-machine-guide/

12. @thebus if it's of any help, this article should help get you started on creating an unattend file and placing it where it needs to be. Just make sure that if your unattend contains an activation key, delete it in the end so you cover your traces. A SetupComplete.cmd file that runs after the unattend process should be good enough.

http://sybaspot.com/the-complete-guide-to-preparing-a-windows-7-deployment-image-using-audit-mode-and-sysprep-with-an-unattend-xml-answer-file/

or Sign Up to reply!