Not finding NetBoot after upgrade to 1.3.3

1. 9 months ago

I recently upgraded one of our clonedeploy servers from 1.3.0 to 1.3.3. I did so by uninstalling 1.3.0 first as I have not had success in the past just merging the patch files with the currently existing clonedeploy server. After the uninstall I removed any files left by the uninstaller in the clonedeploy folder. The install seems to have been successful since I can log into the server change settings, etc. However, when I try to netboot my devices see netboot and try to boot, but after about 10 minutes they fail to get to the netboot image. I have attached a log, you can ignore the client install entries I'm not too worried about that. it appears that their is some api call that clonedeploy is expecting, but not finding.

2. clonedeploy

15 Dec 2017 Administrator

Attachment didn't come through. Nothing has changed for netboot since 1.3.0

3. Sorry, I forgot to change .log to .txt. Hopefully this time it comes through.

4. Just my 2 cents here, but try restarting the tftp service. I have had it flake out after doing windows updates or rebooting server. After the server rebooted the service showed "running", but it would not actually deliver the boot image. After I clicked on restart of the service, all was well again. This might not be the fix for your problem, but I had similar issue and wanted to throw it out there for you...
    Best of luck!
    Scott

5. clonedeploy

18 Dec 2017 Administrator

Nothing in the log seems to relate to netbooting. It seems like it's either not setup right or tftp flaked out as suggested by @Stealth111

6. I finally found this in the logs:

2017-12-21 10:55:48,851 [9] ERROR CloneDeploy_ApiCalls.ApiRequest Response Data Was Null For Resource: api/ActiveImagingTask/RecreatePermanentTasks/

7. clonedeploy

22 Dec 2017 Administrator

That is also not related, and if you aren't using permanent tasks is normal.

How far does the netboot get, does it go past the spinning globe?

What OS did you install on?

8. It gets past the spinning globe and then the progress bar continues to the end and then it just hangs. That error is the only thing I see in the logs for today and the only thing that I've done today is to try and netboot a client. I made the nbi with autodmg and yesterday's download of the 10.13.2 installer.

As I mentioned earlier I uninstalled 1.3.0 beta, deleted the left over clonedeploy folder and then installed 1.3.0 and copied the patch folders for 1.3.3 over. I had to recreate the base url from http://[serverip]/clonedeploy to http://[serverip]/clonedeploy/service/client.asmx/ and looking at that error it looks like some api files may need to be rebuilt.

9. clonedeploy

Netbooting an Apple has almost nothing to do with CloneDeploy. It's mostly the proxy dhcp server and IIS. Can you attach your IIS access log. Do another netboot and then grab the most recent log from
    C:\inetpub\logs\LogFiles\W3SVC1

10. Here's the latest log from IIS

11. clonedeploy

When it's trying to get /clonedeploy/public/macos_nbis/0001/NetBoot.dmg

its resulting in 404 not found, can you reach that address from your browser?

12. clonedeploy

Where are the nbi's physically stored?

13. clonedeploy

I think I see the issue. Your apple root path needs changed in proxy dhcp. Should be /clonedeploy/api/public instead of /clonedeploy/public

14. The nbis are in C:\Program Files (x86)\clonedeploy\application\public\macos_nbis\0001\ per your instructions here: https://clonedeploy.org/docs/using-the-macos-imaging-environment/

So change that in the config.ini file? Also when making the nbi?

15. clonedeploy

add that to config.ini

making the nbi doesn't change, just copy and paste the base url per the instructions. As long as your baseurl is set correctly

16. That worked adding that to the config file. I can now boot into apple netboot, however after the upgrade to 1.3.3 I cannot upload an image. I get an error that mounting the smb share failed. After changing the user passwords in both the web interface and on the server I went through your SMB troubleshooting documentation. Everything looks good until I get to step 6 booting into the console. When I attempt to mount the share with user cd_share_rw and the password that I reset and verified I receive a message that mounting the share failed and permission was denied. Are there certain characters I should avoid when creating this password?

or Sign Up to reply!