Imaging w/o sysprep.

1. 4 weeks ago

I'm new to Clone Deploy and currently in the testing/learning phase so I have a question.
    I find that I can upload a windows 10 image to the server then deploy it to a different computer successfully. But because we are on Active Directory I need to add the newly computer back to the network. This is not an issue right now but my question is am I causing problems that may pop up later on?

thanks for you input.

Everything you need can be done with Sysprep.
    CloneDeploy will modify the file to rename the computer.
    The answer file will join to the domain for you, no CloneDeploy process required
    The answer file can specify the OU, you can then use CloneDeploy sysprep tags to modify the OU for different computers if you want.

Therefore you would only need 1 sysprep answer file without any additional scripts.

2. You should sysprep, not doing so can create issues.
    Also are you adding them to AD before uploading the image?

3. The computer I used to create the image is registered with AD but I'm trying to figure out how to rename the computer and add it to AD during the imaging process. From what I have read a rename is done with an unattended file and to get it added to AD I'll need to have a script to perform that. My question is how do I select what OU the computer goes to without having to change or modify the script each time I want to image/deploy a computer?

thanks for replying to my question(s).

4. clonedeploy

Jan 22 Administrator Answer

Everything you need can be done with Sysprep.
    CloneDeploy will modify the file to rename the computer.
    The answer file will join to the domain for you, no CloneDeploy process required
    The answer file can specify the OU, you can then use CloneDeploy sysprep tags to modify the OU for different computers if you want.

Therefore you would only need 1 sysprep answer file without any additional scripts.

5. In general it's bad practice to add the image you're uploading to the domain, that should all be done during the deployment process.

6. Thanks that's all good news. I'm going to read up on unattended files so I can get this going.

or Sign Up to reply!