Surface Pro deployment

1. 4 months ago

Hello,

I am trying to create an image from Surface Pro 4 and I can't...
    I am using Microsoft USB 3.0 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter, CloneDeploy v.1.3.3, kernel v.4.16.1x64 and different PXE modes.
    The problem appears after it loads the kernel. I reach the text where it says that there was not found driver for NIC. Seems like none of the kernels have support/driver for Microsoft Adapter.
    When I try to select Available NICs it doesn't show anything.

Could you help me please, am I doing something wrong?
    Thanks in advance.

2. clonedeploy

Apr 27 Administrator

the sp4s are problematic, not really any options, other than the winpe environment.

3. We are imaging MS Surface Pro 2017. The USB dongle is an issue, but we've been using this product from Monoprice and it's worked great. We have 5 Surfaces imaging at the same time and we can image those systems in about 10mins

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=103&cp_id=10311&cs_id=1031102&p_id=10933&seq=1&format=2

Hope this helps.

4. clonedeploy

Apr 27 Administrator

Thanks for sharing this, I'm assuming that PXE doesn't work with this and you use a bootable USB?

5. Correct, I had to use a thumb drive, but it worked like a champ.

6. @jimpenn Correct, I had to use a thumb drive, but it worked like a champ.

Could you please explain a little bit more, how did you do that? :)

7. clonedeploy

May 2 Administrator

It's just a bootable usb drive that can be created from CloneDeploy that is used to boot instead of pxe

8. @clonedeploy It's just a bootable usb drive that can be created from CloneDeploy that is used to boot instead of pxe

Well actually I have tried to create it today, using both the bat file and Rufus. In the end it shows the same thing as with PXE-boot. Cannot contact CloneDeploy server and no NIC found. (

9. clonedeploy

May 2 Administrator

Correct, you still a network connection to transfer the image. The issue is that the Surface only has 1 usb port. That is why @jimpenn purchased a usb nic with a usb hub in a single unit. The surface will only pxe boot with the Microsoft adapter, but the microsoft adapter has issues with CloneDeploy. Using a 3rd party adapter with the usb drive to boot was his way around the problem.

10. @clonedeploy Correct, you still a network connection to transfer the image. The issue is that the Surface only has 1 usb port. That is why @jimpenn purchased a usb nic with a usb hub in a single unit. The surface will only pxe boot with the Microsoft adapter, but the microsoft adapter has issues with CloneDeploy. Using a 3rd party adapter with the usb drive to boot was his way around the problem.

Now it became clear) Yes I was confused with Microsoft adapter as well. Neither with 3rd party. But surprisingly we have somewhere exactly the same usb dongle, so I will give a try.
    But just to be sure, I connect to this dongle USB flash with bootloader and ethernet cable for downloading the image from server?

11. clonedeploy

May 2 Administrator

correct.

12. Awesome! Thanks a lot! I will try that.

13. Hi again,

Thanks for advice that works perfectly, well I just stuck on another problem, when I am trying to upload the image...

What it can be?

Thanks in advance!

14. clonedeploy

May 3 Administrator

Can you try the cancel all tasks button in the web admin->tasks page

15. Edited 4 months ago by Oleg_D

I do not have any task on that page...

16. clonedeploy

May 7 Administrator

Did you register this device, or is it on demand?

17. On demand

18. clonedeploy

May 7 Administrator

Have you tried registering it, just to see what happens?

19. Same error again... Could it be something related to core scripts?

20. Edited 4 months ago by Oleg_D

Well, I restored the core scripts again and following things happened:

1. I was trying to upload new image with name SurfTest - says the name is invalid
    2. Tried to use name testimg - worked fine
    3. The following text appeared (see Upload-x images)
    1. Seems like upload was successful and image was created, folder size appx 53Gb
    2. Tried to deploy the same image and did not receive a line where it is necessary to fill the computer name or leave the field blank (I have tried to change script a bit, so I started to receive computer name question, but it does not add name to unattend file)
    3. Here what I see during deploy (see Deploy-x images)
  21. Newer ›

or Sign Up to reply!