rotate between distribution points

1. 2 weeks ago

Hello,

Is it possible to round robin between distribution points ?

I image over 100+ pcs at a time and multicast is disabled. I can only setup multiple SMB shares.

thanks!

2. clonedeploy

May 1 Administrator

Yes. You just need to setup a cluster group

3. @clonedeploy Yes. You just need to setup a cluster group

do all of the machines have to have all the images ?

4. clonedeploy

May 1 Administrator

All the shares? Yes.

5. @clonedeploy All the shares? Yes.

Oh cool!

Thanks!.

Just want to be clear,

If I have 4 desktops all in a cluster group. 1 machine will be the main and the other the slaves.

the cluster group will allow me to round robin between all the servers.

Is this correct ?

6. clonedeploy

May 1 Administrator

On second thought, you wouldn't need all the images on the shares, just the images you want, as long as you've correctly grouped everything it should be fine, CloneDeploy would be unaware of what images are where, it's up to you to make sure the the image is available on the proper shares.

To your last post, there isn't really a concept of a main in a cluster group, the primary distribution point is the main regardless of whether it's in the group or not. It would be used for info, but the transfer would not come across the primary if not in the group. Each task checks how many tasks are already connected to a share and picks the share with the lowest amount of tasks to connect to. If all the shares have even utilization a random one is picked. So it's not exactly round robin, but similar.

7. @clonedeploy On second thought, you wouldn't need all the images on the shares, just the images you want, as long as you've correctly grouped everything it should be fine, CloneDeploy would be unaware of what images are where, it's up to you to make sure the the image is available on the proper shares.

To your last post, there isn't really a concept of a main in a cluster group, the primary distribution point is the main regardless of whether it's in the group or not. It would be used for info, but the transfer would not come across the primary if not in the group. Each task checks how many tasks are already connected to a share and picks the share with the lowest amount of tasks to connect to. If all the shares have even utilization a random one is picked. So it's not exactly round robin, but similar.

Thanks for the information!

So i set up a cluster group, but when I create a boot usb it gives an error for on demand tasks.

This is because by default it set the distribution point to [server IP] instead of the actual IP address.

WIll I have to set the distribution points on both slave and master to them selfs ?

Thanks!

8. clonedeploy

May 2 Administrator

I'm not sure that I'm following you. What error do you get from the on demand task? Did you make the cluster group the default, or did you make multiple cluster groups? Are the on demand tasks computer's registered or not?

or Sign Up to reply!