Multicast Not Starting

1. 2 months ago

Hello. Today I began the process of reimaging my labs but I am running into an option with multicasting. I add computers to a group in CloneDeploy, assign an image, and then start a multicast of the group. All of the members of the group join the multicast session but the reimaging process never starts. My server and PCs are on different subnets but I don't remember this being a problem last summer when I reimaged my PCs. I verified that I am able to start an on-demand deploy and it works just fine. I am running CD 1.3.5. Any suggestions? Thanks!

I looked in Windows Firewall with Advanced Security on the server and there were several entries for udp-sender in the inbound and outbound rules that were outdated from when CrucibleWDS was installed. So I removed all the udp-sender rules from inbound and outbound rules and then ran your two scripts. I then tried to multicast but it still didn't work. So under each rule under inbound and outbound, I changed the path to the udp-sender.exe from "{app}\web\private\apps\udp-sender.exe" to "%ProgramFiles% (x86)\clonedeploy\application\private\apps\udp-sender.exe" and now multicast works. Thanks for all of the suggestions!

2. clonedeploy

May 31 Administrator

The different subnets could be an issue if the switches aren't setup correctly for multicasting? Was anything in your infrastructure changed b/w last year and now? Have you tried with a smaller group of computers, or even just one. If a multicast works with only 1 computer in the group it's most likely a switch config issue.

3. I checked and I'm not even able to start a multicast with one device. I'm going to check with our network team.

4. clonedeploy

May 31 Administrator

You could also try disabling the firewall on your server if it isn't already.

5. I first changed the IP on my CloneDeploy server to be on the same subnet as my clients but that still didn't work. So I turned off the Domain profile firewall on the server and that fixed it. Now I need to figure out why the firewall was blocking the mulitcast. Thanks.

6. clonedeploy

Jun 4 Administrator

Two rules are created during install that are usually enough.

netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name=udp-sender dir=in action=allow program="{app}\web\private\apps\udp-sender.exe" enable=yes profile=any
    netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name=udp-sender dir=out action=allow program="{app}\web\private\apps\udp-sender.exe" enable=yes profile=any
  7. T3chGuy007

Jun 4 Answer

I looked in Windows Firewall with Advanced Security on the server and there were several entries for udp-sender in the inbound and outbound rules that were outdated from when CrucibleWDS was installed. So I removed all the udp-sender rules from inbound and outbound rules and then ran your two scripts. I then tried to multicast but it still didn't work. So under each rule under inbound and outbound, I changed the path to the udp-sender.exe from "{app}\web\private\apps\udp-sender.exe" to "%ProgramFiles% (x86)\clonedeploy\application\private\apps\udp-sender.exe" and now multicast works. Thanks for all of the suggestions!

or Sign Up to reply!