No Mac image served, missing schema?

1. 4 months ago

CentOS server. Clonedeploy 1.3.0 (though I attempted to merge in the 1.3.5 patches and thought it worked...). Testparm looks good. cd_dhcpd --debug looks good. Clonedeploy local site is fine. Created OS X 10.13.6 image created with macOS Imaging Environment and uploaded to server. Macs boot on the same subnet as server but don't see any image. Log:

2018-07-17 14:22:56,034 [Thread Pool Worker] ERROR CloneDeploy_Services.FilesystemServices Could Not Read Schema File On The Primary Distribution Point
    2018-07-17 14:22:56,034 [Thread Pool Worker] ERROR CloneDeploy_Services.FilesystemServices Could not find file "/cd_dp/images/0011/schema"

I can't tell if creating the Mac image has anything to do with the "New Image" I created... Please advise. Thx.

just change your base url to http://localhost

You should also not be hard coding values into apple-boot-file and apple-root-path, the nbi_id placeholder should remain.

Your apple_nbi_id_1 value should not start with leading zeros
    apple_nbi_id_1=12

2. clonedeploy

Jul 17 Administrator

If I understand correctly it sounds like you haven't captured an image yet. You have only created the netboot image. You still need to create an upload task for the machine you want to capture from.

3. Perhaps I don't understand what "Add Computer From Client Boot Method" means.

1. Boot your client machine using the client boot method you selected
    2. Select CloneDeploy

I'm booting from CloneDeploy Proxy DHCP(???). I thought this meant that I would see Clonedeploy as a choice when I booted up with Option or the N key, just like seeing my hard drive or a NetBoot image...
    Thanks for touching base so quickly!!!

4. clonedeploy

Jul 17 Administrator

Most of the documentation is written for the Linux image environment so it does become confusing.

For the macs you would hold Option and then select the nbi you already created earlier. It will boot up where you can either upload or deploy an image. Since the computer is most likely not yet registered you would start an on demand upload which should also register the machine.

5. The computer is definitely not registered. The nbi I created earlier is on the server but it was created from an installer file, not a machine per the "Building the macOS Imaging Environment" instructions. That worked. When I hold Option or boot from N on the client I don't see the nbi file on the server. I'm looking for some way to register the computer without having to get it's MAC address... (THANKS!!!!)

6. clonedeploy

Jul 17 Administrator

The only thing that's needed to get the boot options is the proxy dhcp server. If you don't see it in the menu, something with the proxy isn't setup correctly. Did you setup the apple netboot profile in the admin settings page?

7. Apple netboot profile is setup. Files copied to server where specified. Proxy DHCP seems to be working. Please see attached files...

8. clonedeploy

Jul 17 Administrator

Yes that looks good, are you seeing any traffic from the proxy debug, it should list all netboot requests when they come in. Did you open the firewall for port 4011 and 67?

9. Proxy debug sees no traffic. On same subnet with all ports open on firewall.... Checked DHCP server to make sure 67 was open.

10. clonedeploy

Jul 18 Administrator

You should be seeing all dhcp requests coming through but it will only respond to pxe / netboot requests. Since your not seeing anything, seems like something is blocking it. Have you tried just temporarily disabling the firewall on your CentOS server?

11. clonedeploy

Jul 18 Administrator

Also is there anything else on that server that might already be listening on port 67?

12. When I turn on a Mac and push Option or N, does that send out a netboot request? Does Startup Disk in the preferences pain send out a netboot request? Disabled firewall with same results. Munki and Filewave (not IVS) are also on this server and they don't listen on port 67... (THANK YOU!!!)

13. clonedeploy

Jul 18 Administrator

When I turn on a Mac and push Option or N, does that send out a netboot request? Does Startup Disk in the preferences pain send out a netboot request?

Yes they would both send out a netboot request.

Can you attach config.ini

14. ;Config File For CloneDeploy Proxy DHCP Server

[settings]

; LISTEN-DHCP sets the server to listen for pxe boot dhcp offers and apple netboot dhcp informs on port 67
    ; Must be true in order for Apple NetBoot to work
    ; Can be false if not using Apple NetBoot and the CloneDeploy Proxy DHCP is installed on the same server as your DHCP Server and option 60 is set to PXEClient on that DHCP Server
    ; Valid values: true | false

listen-dhcp=true

; LISTEN-PROXY sets the server to listen for pxe boot proxy dhcp requests on port 4011
    ; Must be true for PXE booting
    ; Apple NetBoot does not use this port

listen-proxy=false

; LISTEN-APPLE-BSDP sets the server to listen for Apple NetBoot Inform Requests
    ; Must be true to use with Apple NetBoot
    ; listen-dhcp must also be true when this is true

listen-apple-bsdp=true

; INTERFACE sets the nic you want to listen on.
    ; Any interface can be specified with 0.0.0.0
    ; If running on Linux with Mono, you must use 0.0.0.0
    ; When binding to the interface, it is possible to reuse the port if there is already an existing DHCP Server on the same machine, with some limitations
    ; -- This lets you use the CloneDeploy Proxy DHCP on an isolated network with only a single machine for both DHCP services and Proxy DHCP services, but ideally should be on it's own machine with an ip helper pointing to it
    ; -- Not all DHCP servers support this, if CloneDeploy Proxy DHCP cannot bind, it will let you know
    ; -- Requests that are fowarded by a relay or ip helper, will not work when CloneDeploy Proxy DHCP is bound to the same interface that a DHCP Server is already using
    ; ----- It will only respond to requests in the same subnet / vlan
    ; Valid values: A single IPv4 address | 0.0.0.0

;interface=10.0.1.1600
    interface=0.0.0.0

; NEXT-SERVER sets the IPv4 address of the tftp server
    ; Value is required for both PXE and Apple NetBoot
    ; Valid values: A single IPv4 address

next-server=10.0.1.16

; CLONEDEPLOY-BASE-URL sets the optional url used for CloneDeploy API Calls
    ; Valid Value: Your CloneDeploy Base Url from CloneDeploy Web Interface ->Admin->Server

clonedeploy-base-url=http://10.0.1.16/clonedeploy/

; CHECK-WEB-RESERVATIONS check the CloneDeploy server for static computer boot reservations
    ; Valid values true | false

check-web-reservations=true

; CHECK-TFTP-CLUSTER check the CloneDeploy server for tftp cluster groups

;check-tftp-cluster=true
    check-tftp-cluster=false

; TFTP-POLLING-INTERVAL when using clustered tftp server, how often to check to see if they are up
    ; Valid values number (in seconds)

tftp-polling-interval=30

; ALLOW-ALL-MAC sets the server to respond to all pxe boot or netboot requests or limit to only those set in the allow file

allow-all-mac=true

; BIOS-BOOTFILE sets the file that is loaded for legacy bios clients, both x86 and x64
    ; Path is relative to your tftp base folder
    ; If using with CloneDeploy, it should always be proxy/bios/pxeboot.0

bios-bootfile=proxy/bios/pxeboot.0

; EFI32-BOOTFILE sets the file that is loaded for efi x86 clients
    ; If using with CloneDeploy, it should always be proxy/efi32/pxeboot.0

efi32-bootfile=proxy/efi32/pxeboot.0

; EFI64-BOOTFILE sets the file that is loaded for efi x64 clients
    ; If using with CloneDeploy, it should always be proxy/efi64/pxeboot.0

efi64-bootfile=proxy/efi64/pxeboot.0

; APPLE-EFI-BOOT-FILE sets the boot file on Apple NetBoot when not using a macOS NBI. Ex: The CloneDeploy Linux Imaging Environment
    ; This file is only loaded if an nbi is selected with an id of 3913 or 39131
    ; This feature enables NetBooting to both an Apple NBI and the Linux Environment while using only a single CloneDeploy Proxy DHCP Server
    ; If using with CloneDeploy, it should always be proxy/efi64/ipxe.efi

apple-efi-boot-file=proxy/efi64/ipxe.efi

; APPLE-BOOT-FILE sets the boot file on Apple NetBoot when a macOS NBI is selected.
    ; [nbi-id] is a placeholder for the selected NBI from the Apple Boot Menu
    ; If using with CloneDeploy, it should always be [nbi_id]/i386/booter

apple-boot-file=[nbi_id]/i386/booter

; APPLE-ROOT-PATH sets the location of the NBI .dmg folder for Apple NetBoot - Only supports serving over http - No NFS
    ; [nbi-id] is a placeholder for the selected NBI from the Apple Boot Menu
    ; If using with CloneDeploy, it should always be http://clonedeploy-server-ip/clonedeploy/public/macos_nbis/[nbi_id]/NetBoot.dmg

apple-root-path=http://10.0.1.16/clonedeploy/public/macos_nbis/[nbi_id]/NetBoot.dmg

; APPLE-VENDOR-SPECIFIC-INFORMATION sets the NBI list boot menu for Apple NetBoot
    ; If using with CloneDeploy, it should be generated from the CloneDeploy Web Interface->Admin->BootMenu->Apple NetBoot
    ; If not using with CloneDeploy, you can generate it by filling in the vendor-specific-info-generator section below and running with the --generate argument

apple-vendor-specific-information=

; SERVER-IDENTIFIER-OVERRIDE sets the Server Identifier
    ; By default this value is set to the inteface value when empty, except in cases where it cannot be, such as an interface set to 0.0.0.0
    ; Valid values: A single IPv4 address

server-identifier-override=10.0.1.16

; The Following section is used to generate the apple-vendor-specific-information string for use with Apple NetBooting when CloneDeploy Proxy DHCP is ran with the --generate argument
    ; This Should Only be filled in if using without CloneDeploy
    ; It supports adding up to 5 boot options to the Apple NetBoot Menu
    ; NETBOOT-SERVER-IP sets the CloneDeploy Proxy DHCP that should be targeted when a boot Menu selection is selected
    ; NETBOOT-SERVER-IP should match either the interface value or the apple-target-ip-override value
    ; Id Values for a single CloneDeploy Proxy DHCP Server must be unique
    ; Id Values for an NBI being served from a single server must be b/w 1-4095
    ; Id Values for an NBI being served from multiple servers for load balancing must be b/w 4096-65535
    ; An id with the a value of 3913 or 39131 will load the apple-efi-boot-file, any other value will load the apple-boot-file
    ; Name values can be any name you want to display on the Apple NetBoot Boot Menu
    ; Name values should not contain spaces or special characters
    [vendor-specific-info-generator]

netboot-server-ip=

apple_nbi_id_1=
    apple_nbi_name_1=

apple_nbi_id_2=
    apple_nbi_name_2=

apple_nbi_id_3=
    apple_nbi_name_3=

apple_nbi_id_4=
    apple_nbi_name_4=

apple_nbi_id_5=
    apple_nbi_name_5=

15. I turned on Apple Server on my laptop and put an image on it. I booted up another laptop and could see the image. If DHCP Proxy is running

mono /opt/cd_proxyd/cd_proxyd.exe --debug

then I should be able to see the netboot request, right? Is there another way to look for the netboot request from the CentOS server?

16. What should the ownership/permissions be for my cd_proxyd directory? (THANKS!!!)

17. clonedeploy

Jul 18 Administrator

Yes you should be able to see them and your config file looks fine. I can't say what the issue is at the moment. I run the proxy on CentOS 7 on 9 different servers in different geographic locations without issue. The permissions don't matter as long as the exe can read the various config files, since your running as root it won't matter. The only other thing you could do is a packet capture on that server to see if the netboot requests are making it there.

18. sudo tcpdump -i em1 -s 0 -nvX port bootps or port bootpc or port tftp
    The requests are not making it to the server. Great call there. Hope to wrap this up tomorrow (newly waxed floor keeping me out of the server closet today, killing me!). Seriously, thanks so much for all the help.

19. clonedeploy

Jul 18 Administrator

No problem, seems strange though. Are you certain the macs are on the same subnet as that server?

20. Positive. My guess is that ports are all open but the core routers have some sort of blocking going on. An hour ago I had the network guy enter my server into the core router's DHCP snooping interface as a DHCP server but that didn't help. Still, the problem has to be along those lines. Can't wait to get this up and running tomorrow.

21. Newer ›

or Sign Up to reply!