Win 10 Imaging

1. 6 weeks ago
    Edited 6 weeks ago by NMGAdmin

I love Clone Deploy and how simple it is to setup. But, I've been having trouble getting my Windows 10 pro machines to image properly. I have looked through the forum and there are a lot of posts, but not many have a final answer posted. I can capture the image from the PC. I can deploy the image to a new PC. I can't, however, get the machine to sysprep properly or change computer name.

My environment is a Windows 2016 AD network with 75 brand new Dell PCs. I have taken 1 machine new out of the box and performed all the windows updates, installed all my ERP software, anti-virus, MS Office, etc. This PC is not part of the domain at all yet. This is my "golden goose" PC. I would like to capture this machine's image and deploy it to the other 74 machines.

Can I use this post to solve my issue and become a case study on how to properly capture and deploy Windows 10 Pro images? Is anyone willing to help me figure this out?

I will post every screenshot and setting necessary to make this a fully functional case study to help me and those in the future.

I do not have one. Here is a post of someone else who attached their file, it may or may not work for you. https://forum.clonedeploy.org/821-renaming-pc-not-working

2. I have already tried using Microsoft WDS but that led to errors with the capture routine not finding a boot device in the PC. I needed to load into the image the disk drivers or something and it never worked. Similar results with Microsoft MDT.

I have some software deployment using AD and GPO policies in the past. If I can't get an imaging solution to work, this is the route I will go. Just seems like there should be a better way than this. And, for machines that are already deployed and just "break", you then have to fresh install Windows 10 first and then add to domain, etc. ... just tedious.

3. clonedeploy

Sep 6 Administrator

Windows 10 is fully compatible with CloneDeploy. Many people are using it without issue. It sounds like your issues stem from sysprep. If it's it's not sysprepping properly it won't rename properly. Are you using a valid answer file? What sysprep problems are you having?

4. Edited 6 weeks ago by NMGAdmin

That is kind of where some of the prior posts never really showed any solutions. What are the steps, sections of the program, etc. to create the contents of the "answer file"?

I would go into Global Settings and set the sysprep tag for <computername></computername> and the content to be the new name.

It didn't work.

5. clonedeploy

Sep 6 Administrator

That's not really part of CloneDeploy. It doesn't care. It's up to you to create your answer file the way you like it. You need to use the Official Microsoft tools, such as Windows ADK

Or third party, which may or may not be easier.
    Windows AFG

6. Aaaaahhhhhhhhh .... do you have a sample of the most basic answer file that would simply allow for a computer to be renamed after the image was deployed?

7. clonedeploy

Sep 6 Administrator Answer

I do not have one. Here is a post of someone else who attached their file, it may or may not work for you. https://forum.clonedeploy.org/821-renaming-pc-not-working

8. Ok, I have a sample file now. Does the unattend.xml file goes on the PC that is being captured as the source image?

9. Edited 6 weeks ago by hrumph2

@NMGAdmin Ok, I have a sample file now. Does the unattend.xml file goes on the PC that is being captured as the source image?

Yes it does and unattend.xml can be put in C:\WIndows\system32\sysprep (but I don't think it has to go there or anywhere in particular). It gets validated (and cached somewhere) when you call sysprep with the unattend switch
    (e.g. sysprep.exe /oobe /generalize /shutdown /unattend:C:\Windows\system32\sysprep\unatttend.xml).
    It gets used when you start up a freshly imaged PC assuming the image has been sysprepped.

First attempt to fully prepare your PC in audit mode (this may not always be possible to to update issues). To do this, rather then creating a user and logging in after the initial install, instead hit CTRL-SHIFT-F3. This will take you straight into audit mode as the admin user.

When in audit mode attempt to get the PC fully updated and install software. You can then write an unattend file yourself which might work, but if its your first go round you should probably install windows ADK, specifically the system image manager component. With the system image manager you can load in a file called install.wim (found in the sources directory of your installation disk [or USB]). Once you do that you can start creating an answer file using the GUI and then save it.

When you are in audit mode, if you reboot your PC it will reboot again in audit mode.

10. Thank you hrumph2!

or Sign Up to reply!