Kernel NMI Errors

1. 5 weeks ago

Hi, so I'm attempting to image a set of four Toshiba Satellite C655D-S5300 laptops. I've tried every kernel provided by CloneDeploy and on SourceForge, and I keep getting an extremely odd error on every one of them. Some research tells me it's a kernel-related issue, but I'm curious: Should I have to keep trying kernels other than these provided ones?

The error I receive is usually one or two copies of these lines:

"Uhhuh. NMI received for unknown reason 3c on CPU 0.
    Do you have a strange power saving mode enabled?
    Dazed and confused, but trying to continue"

After those lines, the machine just shuts off.

Usually this occurs when CloneDeploy starts writing MBR / GPT Tables, but it's occurred both before and after.
    Due to my small amount of laptops at this point, I *could* just do clean USB installs, however I might get up to 30 more soon, so I'd prefer not to do that.

Thanks for any help,
    Eric

Yea, some computers just don't play nice. The only other last resort is to use the WinPE environment, assuming you are cloning Windows.

2. clonedeploy

Oct 16 Administrator

Are there any power saving features in the bios, can you try different options if so?

3. clonedeploy

Oct 16 Administrator

You could also try passing in the argument

acpi=off
  4. So I checked that, and there's not really any except maybe "Dynamic CPU frequency Mode" which has two options, "Always low" and "Dynamic Switch" . Neither of those made too much of a difference, but I'll try the acpi=off thing, will report back.

5. Alright, so tried ACPI=off and still received errors and this time I got a screen almost like multicolor TV static after the errors were thrown...though I think I've gotten that before I tried ACPI off

6. clonedeploy

Oct 16 Administrator

Just want to verify the acpi=off was passed in properly. Where did you put it in at?

7. Tried placing it in the boot menu file editor directly and in the image profile PxE section....I probably did it wrong with my luck...

8. clonedeploy

Oct 16 Administrator

Seems like should work, that should cover both an on demand pxe boot or a task started from the web. Have you tried kernel 4.18.5?
    http://files.clonedeploy.org/kernels/4.18.5/4.18.5x64

9. Just did, and same thing :( Thank you for trying to help, I'm not sure this one is meant to be though xD

10. clonedeploy

Oct 16 Administrator Answer

Yea, some computers just don't play nice. The only other last resort is to use the WinPE environment, assuming you are cloning Windows.

11. Cloning Linux, so yeah unfortunately so. Have a nice day, thank you again!

or Sign Up to reply!