Issues when using clonedeploy on some situations

• Hi

Although all works well when uploading/deploying to hard drives with simple existing configurations (Vanilla windows disks, vanilla linux disks), but I have found some issues. One is was pretty serious.

1 - When uploading windows hdd's which have partitions and bootloader created/altered by Acronis true image, clonedeploy "resizes" the volumes and starts to upload. The upload failed on some partition and after rebooting the OS hanged. I had to restore a true image clone of the C partition. I haven't found any logs of this operation.

Is there any way to prevent clonedeploy from tempering with the source material prior to the imaging?

2- When deploying windows images to an "unclean" drive (a drive which has existing windows partitions), clonedeploy can fail with ntfs errors messages. This drive in question was a data drive, no OS, but I think this hdd had an acronis hidden partition. Not sure though.

The log is attached bellow.

In this case, I had to remove the HDD to another computer and delete every partition manually. After doing this the deploy occurred without issues.

cheers

• Issue 1 is most likely an unclean filesystem. The imaging scripts are supposed to check for this and cancel if a problem is detected, I'm not sure why that's not happening. I would really like to see the log for this, was it uploaded in on demand? The log would be in the on demand logs. Also running a chkdsk /f prior to upload should eliminate this issue. Finally to answer your question about preventing tampering. The issue is that the filesystem is resized in order to allow deployments to smaller drives. During this process all the data on the partition is moved and reorganized which can be dangerous if the filesystem is not clean. You can avoid this by choosing don't shrink volumes in the image upload profile. Then the upload will be read only. But you will only be able to deploy to hard drives of the same size or bigger.

Issue 2 is a strange one, it doesn't matter what partitions are on a hard drive prior to deployment they are zeroed out. I believe the fact that you manually removed them and then it worked is coincidental. It seems to me there were problems writing to the drive. I'm up for being proved wrong though.

• Issue 1 was with upload + webgui task. I have searched but there are no logs 😕

thanks for the tip. If I click the image in "image profile updater" another window opens with many options about the upload! Very nice! What options to you recommend for max reliability on upload and deploy? some computers will be 500km away

Issue 2 happened once and the log is above. I'll be sure to post my findings If it happens again.

Thank you

• I recommend sticking with the defaults, but certain situations might require adjustments. Whatever works for you is what is best. Uploading without shrinking volumes is the safest but has some drawbacks that mentioned earlier. In most situations as long as you run a chkdsk /f before you upload, you should be good. Also if you are not using sysprepped images you should disable hibernation also. In windows cmd [code]powercfg /H off[/code]