Problem with Multicast : "Could not start the Multicast Application"



  • Hi !

    I am still pretty new to CloneDeploy and encounter a little problem regarding the Multicast side of things.
    After creating a group (I tried both type, standard and smart) and configuring it (defining the Multicast Options, Computer Properties, etc), I tried to start a new Group Task and selected the Multicast deployment, but a notification pops out telling me that CloneDeploy "[b]could not start the Multicast Application[/b]".

    The only elements available in the logs are the following :
    [i]06/14/2017 15:59: Directory '/data/cd_dp/images/Ugloodev-computer/hd0/data/cd_dp/images/Ugloodev-computer/hd0' not found.[/i] [b]<-[/b] Pointing to a wrong physical path
    [i]06/14/2017 15:59: System.ArgumentException: Can't find process with ID 0
    at System.Diagnostics.Process.GetProcessById (System.Int32 processId) [0x0002e] in <5641e4edad4f4464ba58c620a7b8ea48>:0
    at BLL.ActiveMulticastSession.Delete (System.Int32 multicastId) [0x00096] in /var/www/html/clonedeploy/App_Code/BLL/ActiveMulticastSession.cs:81[/i] [b]<-[/b] I guess the lack of ID is due to the fact that no image is found.

    I'm pretty confused by that error, even though I guess that I'm doing something wrong (hence this topic).
    Anyway, thanks for all your efforts !



  • Not sure why the path is duplicating itself. Is your distribution point path set correctly? Is there anything in the multicast log?



  • The distribution point path is set correctly, but there are no logs created for the Multicast, I only have "On Demand" and the "exceptions.log" in which I found the errors pasted on the previous message.



  • Is the image using lvm?



  • Yes, it does.



  • Looks like there is a problem. I guess no one has ever used multicast with lvm or at least never reported a problem. I'm not planning on releasing anything new until 1.3.0 if you want to try to fix it yourself.

    /var/www/html/clonedeploy/App_Code/BLL/Workflows/Multicast.cs at around line 230, image path is listed twice. You can remove the second imagePath + and give it a try. Apache will need restarted. This will be fixed in 1.3.0.

    [code]Directory.GetFiles(imagePath + imagePath + Path.DirectorySeparatorChar, lv.VolumeGroup + "-" +
    lv.Name + ext + ".*")[/code]



  • The removal of the second imagePath + did the trick ! Now the Multicasting creates the right tasks and deploys the image on the group computers.

    Thanks for your time, and again, for your efforts !