Surface Pro deployment

• Hello,

I am trying to create an image from Surface Pro 4 and I can't...
    I am using Microsoft USB 3.0 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter, CloneDeploy v.1.3.3, kernel v.4.16.1x64 and different PXE modes.
    The problem appears after it loads the kernel. I reach the text where it says that there was not found driver for NIC. Seems like none of the kernels have support/driver for Microsoft Adapter.
    When I try to select Available NICs it doesn't show anything.

Could you help me please, am I doing something wrong?
    Thanks in advance.

• the sp4s are problematic, not really any options, other than the winpe environment.

• We are imaging MS Surface Pro 2017. The USB dongle is an issue, but we've been using this product from Monoprice and it's worked great. We have 5 Surfaces imaging at the same time and we can image those systems in about 10mins

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=103&cp_id=10311&cs_id=1031102&p_id=10933&seq=1&format=2

Hope this helps.

• Thanks for sharing this, I'm assuming that PXE doesn't work with this and you use a bootable USB?

• Correct, I had to use a thumb drive, but it worked like a champ.

• [quote=4110:@jimpenn]Correct, I had to use a thumb drive, but it worked like a champ.[/quote]
    Could you please explain a little bit more, how did you do that? 🙂

• It's just a bootable usb drive that can be created from CloneDeploy that is used to boot instead of pxe

• [quote=4134:@clonedeploy]It's just a bootable usb drive that can be created from CloneDeploy that is used to boot instead of pxe[/quote]
    Well actually I have tried to create it today, using both the bat file and Rufus. In the end it shows the same thing as with PXE-boot. Cannot contact CloneDeploy server and no NIC found. (

• Correct, you still a network connection to transfer the image. The issue is that the Surface only has 1 usb port. That is why @jimpenn purchased a usb nic with a usb hub in a single unit. The surface will only pxe boot with the Microsoft adapter, but the microsoft adapter has issues with CloneDeploy. Using a 3rd party adapter with the usb drive to boot was his way around the problem.

• [quote=4137:@clonedeploy]Correct, you still a network connection to transfer the image. The issue is that the Surface only has 1 usb port. That is why @jimpenn purchased a usb nic with a usb hub in a single unit. The surface will only pxe boot with the Microsoft adapter, but the microsoft adapter has issues with CloneDeploy. Using a 3rd party adapter with the usb drive to boot was his way around the problem.[/quote]
    Now it became clear) Yes I was confused with Microsoft adapter as well. Neither with 3rd party. But surprisingly we have somewhere exactly the same usb dongle, so I will give a try.
    But just to be sure, I connect to this dongle USB flash with bootloader and ethernet cable for downloading the image from server?

• correct.

• Awesome! Thanks a lot! I will try that.

• Hi again,

Thanks for advice that works perfectly, well I just stuck on another problem, when I am trying to upload the image...

What it can be?

Thanks in advance!

• Can you try the cancel all tasks button in the web admin->tasks page

• I do not have any task on that page...

• Did you register this device, or is it on demand?

• On demand

• Have you tried registering it, just to see what happens?

• Same error again... Could it be something related to core scripts?

• Well, I restored the core scripts again and following things happened:

1. I was trying to upload new image with name SurfTest - says the name is invalid

2. Tried to use name testimg - worked fine

3. The following text appeared (see Upload-x images)

4. Seems like upload was successful and image was created, folder size appx 53Gb

5. Tried to deploy the same image and did not receive a line where it is necessary to fill the computer name or leave the field blank (I have tried to change script a bit, so I started to receive computer name question, but it does not add name to unattend file)

6. Here what I see during deploy (see Deploy-x images)